poniedziałek, 7 listopada 2011

Icelandic literature : 101 Reykjavik


Before I came to Iceland I decided to take a look at Icelandic cinema. The first movie I had seen was Hallgrumur Helgason's "101 Reykjavik". I didn't like the movie as much as I enjoyed reading this novel.Anyway I did it the opposite way, since I had seen a movie and then read a book afterwards. I bought it here in Reykjavik in Eydmundsson book store. Let me paste my favorite bits from the book without commenting it.

"Waking up never gets easier. It's like you've been buried for 400 years and have to claw your way through six feet of mud. Every day. The light filters through the curtains. All of a suden it's as if the numbers on my radio were years 1601. Woke up too earlym not due to be born for 400 years"


"Home. Nothing but mommy sleep and darkness. I turn the lights on in the kitchen and have some Cheerios with the morning paper. Keanu Reeves is unhappy with his life. Roseanne is having a tatoo with the name of her ex-husband removed. A woman in Arkansas has her newborn tattooed : Mom"

"My name is Hlynur Bjorn Hafsteinsoon. I was born on 18.02.62. Today is 15.12.95. I lie between those numbers. I was born on Saturday. Today is Saturday. Life is a week. Every weekend I pass away. One week.A history of mankind precedes it, and another one will follow. I'll be dead after I die, and I was dead before I was born. Life is a break from death. You can't be dead all the time."

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz